Monday, June 21, 2004

I Hate Mangoes!

posted 21-Jun-2004, Monday
What is the deal with people and mangoes? Why is it so hard for anyone to believe that someone cannot like mangoes? I hate mangoes. They make me cringe. After I am forced to eat one( in my family everybody loves mangoes ..That’s cool with me but the idea that I don’t like mangoes does not register. I think their brain is not ready to process the fact that some people do not like mangoes.) Haan so after I am forced to eat one I am left with an awfully sweet taste and minute mango fibers stuck between all my teeth. And you would think that this only lasts for a few months and it would be worse if I dint like bananas which are somehow available throughout the year …get this my dad goes to Bangalore a lot and every time he goes he gets a basket full of mangoes. We actually had mangoes in February once.

7 comments:

munz said...

I'm not feelin' mangoes too much myself.
Used to love them. but now..either they taste awful...or what..i just keep rejecting every single one.
and being back in pakistan after 8 years and NOT swimming in mangoes..its not going down too well with the fam.

Anonymous said...

I hate mangoes. I also get a rash when I pick them from trees (I learned this when I picked them for a friend.) Did you know they botanically related to poison ivy? ... which is why some people are allergic to touching the trees. I also cannot stand peaches, plums or nectarines. Are mangoes related to peaches? I think they must be in the same family of fruits.

sylph said...

no, mangoes are not related to peaches. mangoes are related to poison ivy, cashews, and pistachios. the leaves and sap of the plants contain irritants that most all people are mildly allergic to, and some severely so. i think that mangoes taste like musky sweet carrots (i only like carrots cooked soft, like in soups). they make my hands itch and break out mildly though if i peel one. eeeww i hate mangoes.


peaches however are part of the rose family. peaches are closely related to plums, almonds, apricots, and cherries, which are all stone fruits. more distantly apples and pears. they are all part of the rose family though. the seeds of all rose fruits contain cyanide, and shouldn't be consumed (except for almonds. only eat sweet amonds because they contain the smallest amount of cyanide. bitter almonds are toxic to eat raw and are used primarily for their oils and extracts. necatarines are the same thing as peaches, but with smooth skin, not fuzzy. i wonder where you're from to not love peaches. maybe you've never had a good ripe one? if they don't grow in your area they will be shipped under ripe and really won't live up to their name. white peaches/nectarines are heavenly. =D

Anonymous said...

I looked up your site to share my feelings too.. I hate them so much they taste like a sweet soap that you just dont want do eat.. i mean they just taste bad x.X

Unknown said...

I can completely related to your idea of hating mangoes..
i hate bananas too.. also chikoo and pineapples.
pineapples always leave me with an itchy tongue.. i hate that the most !!!

Anonymous said...

I'm the same! I also taste detergent when I eat cilantro. Are you the same about cilantro?

Anonymous said...

I'm the same! I also taste detergent when I eat cilantro. Are you the same about cilantro?